walleye

Catch something impressive? Post a photo here!

walleye

Postby NorthShoreMatt » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:47 pm

Caught a nice walleye in the cove by the boat launch last week in the afternoon. Might be worth a stop if you are out fishing.
NorthShoreMatt
Rainy Lake Contributor

Re: walleye

Postby Mike S » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:44 pm

Matt, Since we are getting some more people invloved in the lake you input is helpful. Have you caught much this year?
Mike S
Rainy Lake Minnow

Postby Tim » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Between July 4th and July 10th, myself and others fishing in the boat with me once or twice a day caught a total of 24 walleye in 5 different places on the lake. All were 14 inches or less in size, and put back into the lake unharmed. If we continue to put them back into the lake, 1) they will get bigger and be fun to catch again and again 2) they can reach a size and age to start reproducing 3) walleye are supposed to be 15 inches to keep from inland lakes in MI, anyway. Although I don't know if they will reproduce well in Rainy lake, I have caught 4 or 5 walleyes in the 5-8 inch range in the last 2 years that are probably from natural reproduction and were too small to be from either of the past stockings 3 or 5 years ago (no I am not referring to the <2" sized fingerlings that were stocked a few weeks ago and will take 7 years or more to reach 15 inches at a growth rate of 1-2 inches per year). In my opinion, even if they cost 2-3 times as much, we'll get more adult walleye for the money invested and much much faster if we continue to stock the 8-10 inch walleye in the lake as in the past. I say we because I have contributed funds to the voluntary fish fund in the past :D

We also caught 6 northern pike, two of which were 24 inches and I had another pike that was around 28 inches take a swipe at my lure next to the boat, but I didn't catch it to get an exact measurement. Hundreds of perch were also caught, including a nice 12" and a few 10" perch. Most perch were in the 3-6 inch range. I didn't catch any crappie this 4th of July week, but caught quite a few really nice ones during the Memorial day weekend and in years past.
Tim
Rainy Lake Contributor

Postby NorthShoreMatt » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:01 am

The only thing I have caught this year are Pike. I haven't spent much time fishing though as the 2 year old doesn't sit too long in the boat.
I am an expert on sand castles and playing in the water though!
NorthShoreMatt
Rainy Lake Contributor

Postby Mike S » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:18 am

Matt, that is great information and exactly what we need to know so we can tell if the stocking plan is working. Would you be willing to join the fish commitee? Please contact us and let us know if you will be up there before the General Meeting this year. Thanks
Mike S
Rainy Lake Minnow

Return to Fishing